Tuesday 25 January 2011

Welcome Cobblestone Press author, Vanessa Devereaux


Hi Vanessa, great to have you here! Once we are done with the interview, I would love to hear more about Cobblestone Press. I know very little about them and you are my very first guest I have hosted who writes for them. I know they have been around for a long time and have a lot of happy authors so tell us more!

OK, on with the interview...

1) When and why did you decide you wanted to be a published author?

I knew I wanted to write stories. At first it was just for fun but then ambition kicked into overdrive and my goal was to a published mystery writer.

2) What is the best piece of advice you have ever been given as a writer?

To be patient.

3) What is the best thing you have learned from an editor/agent?

One editor…yes, they rejected my story but told me I was a talented writer.

4) And the worst?

That I wouldn’t make it as a writer and to think about doing something else.

5) Share your blurb or short excerpt from your latest release with us

Hannah’s hands shook. She’d never done anything like this before and wasn’t sure if she had the nerve to go through with it. Her instructions were to enter the house, then walk up the stairs to the master bedroom. There would be a painting of a vase of flowers on the wall and behind it a safe that she’d need to open.

Then the game would begin.

She lifted the painting off the wall and sat it on the floor. Glancing at her palm, she checked the combination sequence. Twenty-three right, thirty-two left and then nineteen right. Taking a deep breath, she turned the dial to number twenty-three. How had her friends managed to talk her into doing something like this?

A bead of perspiration broke out on her forehead. She turned the lock right to nineteen, causing the safe door to spring open and almost hit her in the face. Inside sat a box of condoms, some DVDs and a pair of stockings and garters.

Yeah, she’d made a mistake, all right. She swallowed twice. Could she do this?

Her hand hovered near the button she’d been instructed to push when she was ready to move to level two of the game.

“Hold it right there,” a man’s voice said.

6) Who would you cast to play your hero & heroine in a movie?

I have no idea who would play the heroine but I think Henry Cavill would be perfect to play Andy.

7) Did you plan this book? Or write it as it came?

A little of both. I had the basic idea and then wrote as I went along.

8) What surprised you the most when you became a published?

That your work is never ending. Editing, promoting etc.

9) Do you have a dedicated writing space? What does it look like?

Yes, I always write on the couch in the living room and always on laptop.

10) What’s next for you?

I have two stories being published by Cobblestone for their Wicked line. And I’m currently working on an erotic romance, older woman, younger guy and part of is set on the island of Mallorca.

Finish with details of where readers can find you – website, Facebook, Twitter etc

I have my Web site at www.vanessadevereaux.com and on Twitter @vandevereaux.

Ooh, I love the sound of the story set in Mallorca! Why did you decide on that location? Have you been there recently? Sounds fabulous. Vanessa is waiting for your comments and questions!



No comments:

Post a Comment