Thursday 5 January 2012

Welcome Eternal Press author, Carol Itoh!!


It was only after my call-out for guest bloggers that I met Carol. I am really looking forward to this interview to learn more about her, her books and writing. You have been given some really great covers, Carol!

Let's get started... :)

1) Did you set any goals for 2012?

My biggest goal for 2012 is to finish my nonfiction book on Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed with Fibro in 1990 and the progression of this devastating disorder has completely taken over my life. My books so far have all been romantic fiction so writing nonfiction has proven to be a bit more daunting than I had imagined. The process is completely different. In fiction you are bound only by your imagine, in nonfiction you are bound by the facts. And with a medical based book there are more facts then there are stars in the night sky. This leaves you no room for imagination.

So my 2012 goal is to complete this book and then get back to the thing I love best, romantic fiction and allowing my imagination to run free once again.

2) What is the best part of the writing process for you?

The creation of lives and worlds is an amazing feeling. It’s the giving birth process that I love best about writing. It’s so exhilarating. I cannot sing or draw so writing is my only artistic outlet. Yes, I consider writing an artistic expression. We create from nothing from our imagination entire lives and the people who live them. We create the world they live in and how they will live that life.

Some may say it’s like playing God by being creationist in our little way but I say we are more like artist by using words to paint mental vignettes that once combined make a complete picture or story. Something beautiful when done well. However, having said that, I will say I work more like Jackson Pollack in a free style, than say, like one of the old masters such as Rembrandt, who worked in a highly stylized way.

3) The worst part?

Due to my more freestyle way of working and not censoring myself when I work I tend to have a lot of editing to do when preparing a manuscript for submission. Then I have a ton more in preparation for publication. So I would have to say editing is my nemesis.

I have always said I am the luckiest and the laziest writer I know. I never have a shortage of ideas or time but I think I may have ADD and just loose interest after a few weeks of writing on one book. I have a tendency to bore easily. Before I can finish one book I’m tired of that story and I’m excited about another plot I’ve come up with and in a hurry wanting to move on. I would say discipline is another demon I fight with all the time.

4) What is the book you wish you’d written?

I really wish I’d written Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austin. It has wonderful dialogue, lovely descriptions, and characters that are timeless. Her subtle delicate romance was so perfectly handled and the timing in which she paced the action in her book was divine. I loved this book and read it every few years and I’m always in awe of Miss Austin’s talent.

5) Favourite author/s & book/s?

My favorite author’s are Jane Austin, Charles Dickens, Anne Rice, Stephen King, and Gregory Maguire to name a few. I like Amy Tan too. But I can admit to having read some Ayn Rand and really liking her books. But you have to be in the mood for some heavy reading when you read Ayn Rand. She challenges you.

6) Tell us about your latest release?

In October 2011 Eternal Press released my book, The Real Housewives of Hell. This was my first foray into the more humorous side of writing. The subtitle is How to go from Millionaire Row to Poverty Row if you don’t work at Bravo! It’s a tongue in cheek look at how to go from having a lot to having very little in this down-turned economy. All the character’s names in the book are ones taken from the Real Housewives of…series on the Bravo Channel. Even though the book concentrates on my circle of friends I match them to the Housewife that closest resemble them and blend some of the qualities. I don’t need to lose any more friends by telling all their stories unfiltered.


The book blurb reads: How to go from Millionaire's Row to Poverty Row if you don't work at Bravo! Life has been unfair to many Americans. We have suffered the pain of a severe economic disaster and no one feels that more the American housewife. How do you feed your family on less? How can we survive with style and grace? Who can you trust when so many in power have lied to you? You can only trust one of your own! Another housewife. Allow me take you on a journey where you will discover skills you never knew you possessed.

7) Tease us with a blurb/short except

Husband number one was a long tall Texan...need I say more? Every time he and his good ol’ buddies got together, I heard more whoo hooing than a Vicki heavy episode of The Real Housewives of Orange County! Those Texas boys can whoop and holler it up like a pack of crazy coyotes out on the plains. They can also drink and do a lot of drugs too. Oh, and least we not forget, they can sleep with all your girlfriends as well. Yeah, that little nasty bit of news I didn’t get the full extent of until after the divorce was final. Then my girlfriends came out from under the woodwork to let me know how badly they felt for sleeping with my husband, and now that the marriage ended, would I please forgive them. Of course, you know I didn’t! Bitches! I had to move on!

8) What’s next?

As I mentioned before, I am currently writing He Called Me Fat & Neurotic: Our Struggles With Fibromyalgia and the Legal and Medical Systems which will be out in late 2012.

This book chronicles not only my struggles but also the stories of many women who suffer the same. This compilation is to help those who fear seeking help or don’t know what it is exactly they do suffer from. We give them permission to seek help or to find a doctor to better address the issues they are struggling with daily.

9) Tell me where you write?

In my bedroom, late at night, mostly, I find it better to concentrate with the house all quiet and asleep. It’s the only time I have no distractions and can dedicate several hours uninterrupted.

10) Where would you like your career to be in 5 years?

One would hope to be a well-known writer and somewhat more successful financially. However, if this does not occur, I will think that with the releases of my current books, Tokyo Heat, Blood Drops, The Real Housewives of Hell and the coming He Called Me Fat & Neurotic, I do feel vindicated in my dreams of being an author.

11) Where can we find you?

I can be found at:

http://www.carolitoh.com

http://carolitohbooks.blogspot.com/

Great interview, Carol and good luck with that discipline! I completely understand about wanting to leave one story to start another - our minds are buzzing with new ideas all the time. I hope you have more good days than bad with your illness...

Okay, Carol is waiting for your questions and comments!


1 comment:

  1. I always like to hear what other writers have to say about what they do and how they do it.

    ReplyDelete