Tuesday 8 May 2012

Welcome fellow Wild Rose Press author, Maxine Mansfield!


            


SWelcome, Maxine! Happy to have you here and help celebrate your debut Wild Rose Press release. The cover looks great! Who was the artist? I think TWRP have some of the best cover artists in the business, don't you??

      Let's get started with the interview!


When and why did you decide you wanted to be a published author?

Though I've created stories in my head for as long as I can remember,it was a little over twelve years ago when I really became serious about becoming published. Life can deal you some very hard knocks and one thing that always helped me though mine was being able to escape into another world for a few hours. I wanted to be able to do that for others. So, I began writing, and reading everything I could find on writing romance and character development. It has been a wonderful journey.  

2)   What is the best and worse thing you have learned from an editor/agent?

The best thing I’ve learned from my editor would probably be patience. She is a very much in demand, busy lady, and a phenomenal editor, so, it does take her a little while to get back to me. Patience has never been my strong suite, but I’m getting there. The worst thing I’ve learned from my editor isn’t really bad it was just hard to swallow. She points out my weaknesses on a very regular basis, which is her job. But, it still stings when I’ve convinced myself that ‘this’ time, she will be amazed by my genius writing abilities. In other words, she keeps me humble.    

3)   Favorite author/s?

There are so many to choose from that it’s hard to narrow the list down to a few, but I’ll try. I love everything Julia Quinn writes, and I absolutely adore Monica McCarty. Also, Donna Grant is certainly close to the top of my list. You just can’t beat stories with sexy men running around in kilts.
I also love Suzanne Collins and her Hunger Games series, and of course J. K. Rowling and her Harry. I’m not much for contemporary romance, as I am an absolute history nerd, but I do so love Lizbeth Selvig’s stories of small town Minnesota.


4)   What is your typical day?

My typical night would be more like it, for I’ve worked three twelve hour night shifts a week at my ‘day’ job for more than thirty years. So, those days consist of work, sleep, and work, sleep. But, on my four days a week that I’m off, I revert back to a day shift schedule filled with writing, and Facebook, and then writing, and twitter, then writing, and Words with Friends, with breakfast, lunch, and dinner sprinkled in for good measure between blogs. If it’s a really good day then I also get in some playtime with my grand babies, and my honey.




5)   Share your blurb or short excerpt from your latest release with us

Touched by the Magic

New to The Academy of Magical Arts, Briarlarn Tumbleweed wants to learn the art of being a True Healer, but her nerves get the best of her when she’s paired in the sexually dynamic healing class with Uthiel Stoutheart, Paladin of the Realm. Between burning off his eyebrows and overturning a candle on certain exposed male parts, she isn't making a very good impression. But how can she focus when Uthiel is strong, brave, and touches Briar in a way that leaves her weak in the knees, quivering with pleasure, and begging for more?

Falling in love with the accident-prone but talented Briar was not what Uthiel had planned, but life with the sexy healer is adventurous, hilarious, mind-blowingly stimulating, and clearly his destiny. His soul awakens while taking her to new heights of ecstasy, yet he can't allow his own pleasure. There’s no getting around it—he must leave The Academy and pursue his quest to right the wrongs done to his people if he can ever hope to find happiness with Briar.

But is their love strong enough to mend the magic so desperately needed to preserve their world, and that touches both their souls with a searing heat?



6)   Who would you cast to play your hero & heroine in a movie?

This is a very hard one for me. If Touched by the Magic were ever to be made into a movie I think I would want new, fresh faces in the main character parts. Though, who could ever snub their nose at Zac Efron or Channing Tatum, or OMG! Chris Hemsworth? I mean, has there ever been a more sexy man than he was in Thor? As far as Briarlarn’s part, if Chris were playing Uthiel Stoutheart the paladin, would anyone even notice Briar? 


7)   Did you plan this book? Or write it as it came?

I am a complete and total plotter from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. I plot every last twist and turn, conflict, and resolution, love scene and argument of every chapter before I ever write one single word of the story. I even know exactly how the book will end before I start. Nerd remember?


8)   What surprised you the most when you became published?

The feel of actually holding my book in my hands. I can’t even describe what that was like. Let’s just say, there were tears involved, and hugging, and stroking, and squeezing, and kissing. Not with tongue though, I wouldn’t want to get it wet.


9)   Do you have a dedicated writing space? What does it look like?

I have a chase-lounge worthy of Barbara Cartlind in my living room. It is plush, dark green microfiber, and never fails to cocoon me in warmth and security. It’s my favorite place to write, because if by chance I need a quick, little nap during the writing process, I can cuddle up against one of its cushiony arms, close my eyes, and catch twenty winks or so. At my age, those winks are important.


10)                   What’s  next for you?

Touched by the Magic is the first of a six book series set at The Academy of Magical Arts on the planet Albrath. The next book, Tempted by the Storm is due out sometime in September. Also, I have a sizzling hot little novella coming out later this summer. It is titled Served, and is part of The Wild Rose Press’s Boys of Summer series.


Thank you so much for having me today, and if anyone would like to find me or my book just look me up at http://www.maxinemansfield.com/or on Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100002681720132,  at Twitter  at https://twitter.com/ and The Wild Rose Press at http://www.wilderroses.com/index.php
My book can be found in paperback form from The Wild Rose Press and Amazon.com As e-books, it can be found any place e-books are available

 So glad for the chance to get to know you better, Maxine! Comments? Questions?


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me today Rachel, I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want that chaise lounge almost as much as I want your next books!

    ReplyDelete